Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Vizvary is quite the character

I was sad to hear that George Vizvary stepped down as the Ulster County Community College men's soccer coach today.

In my 20-plus years working here at the Freeman, I have spoken with and taken results from George more times than I care to remember. When it comes to coaches around here, there is no equal to Vizvary in terms of being colorful.

George's quotes reached legendary status around the sports department here and we can always count on him saying something colorful -- sometimes too colorful for print. But that was the way George was as a coach and I always got a kick out of speaking with him.

Now it's not completely clear whether George left on his own , was forced to do so or felt as though he was forced to do so. You could tell, however, he was uncomfortable in making this decision and that is truly sad.

In any case, I hope he finds work -- whether it's for a local high school or college -- and finds it soon. I think any institution would be lucky to have George as its soccer coach and -- personally speaking -- I can't wait to have the next conversation and get that next quote from him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home