Sunday, February 5, 2012

Giant parade

OK, so I know you all have been waiting for weeks for my Super Bowl prediction, so I'll try not to disappoint.

Giants fans will have plenty of reason to celebrate less than 12 hours from now.

I know the Patriots have won their last 10 games, but they are not playing nearly as well as the Giants. New York, which seemed to be playing for coach Tom Coughlin's job about a month ago, come into this game much like it did when Big Blue won the title four years ago.

By now, I'm sure you've heard all the comparisons — losing a close game to an unbeaten team (this time the Packers) late in the season. Beating an NFC South team in the playoffs before winning road games at the Nos. 1 & 2 seeds to reach the Super Bowl. In 2008, a Lawrence Tynes field goal in OT (after a turnover) pushed the Giants past the Packers in the NFC title game.

This year, a Lawrence Tynes field goal in OT (after a turnover) pushed the Giants past the San Francisco 49ers in the NFC title game.

I'm sure I've missed other similarities.

I, however, don't believe in this kind of karma. I do believe what I see and what I see is a potent Giants' defense that has gotten better the past four weeks of the regular season holding a Patriots' offense in check. On the other side of the ball, I see a Giants' offense that has found its stride of late having a field day against a very mediocre Patriots' defense.

I know the Patriots are a 3-to-3 1/2-point favorite, but don't believe the hype.

Giants win this one, 41-27.