Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Longing for summer all year

Well gang:
Is it just me, or has this summer flown by?
It seemed like only yesterday I was blogging about the local spring sports scene and now we're about a month from the start of our local fall schedule. Where has the time gone.
I don't know about you guys, but I certainly can wait for the fall.
It has nothing to do with the local sports schedule, but rather fall being one season closer to winter. I know, I know, I'm getting way ahead of myself.
It just seemed like -- pardon the Bryan Adams' reference -- the summers seemed to last forever when I was a kid. My friends and I played baseball or softball from sun up to dark. We swam at the local pool in Ellenville or the county pool in New Paltz for hours on end.
Then we'd watch the Yankees or Mets play at night.
As I get older I really miss those days. Days when my friends and I -- on a whim -- would travel to Yankee Stadium -- or sometimes Shea -- to catch a game. It was a lot easier -- and cheaper -- back then to see a game at the Stadium.
As we slowly move closer to the fall and the start of another school season, I get more and more nostalgic for those childhood memories of those long, hot summers.
Maybe someone upstairs will cancel winter because of lack of interest. Just kidding!
Until next time, take care and God bless.