Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Bowling me over

Hey folks:
Is it just me, or has it been almost freakishly crazy to see all of the 300s area bowlers have been rolling in local leagues and tournaments the past couple of years?
When I started here a long, long time ago, it seemed as though rolling a 300 was something special. If there were a dozen 300s were reported to us the entire season, that was saying something.
I come from a family of pretty decent bowlers (except for my dad) and the closest any of us ever came to what-was-then an elusive perfecto, was the day I bowled a 279 with my family in Philadelphia more than 10 years ago. (By the way, I remember coming back in my next game and rolling something in the neighborhood of a 140 -- woo hoo, a 279 followed by a 140!)
Back then, a 300 was saved for the guys on the PBA Tour.
Nowadays, whether it's Hoe Bowl or Mid-City in Kingston; Bowlers Club in Saugerties; or Hoe Bowl in Catskill, its seems like we get multiple perfectos being rolled each week.
Is it something being done with the lanes?
Or is it simply the quality of the bowler has increased with the popularity of the sport?
In any case, I think it kind of stinks that bowling a 300 just doesn't have the same juice as it once did.
Until next time, take care and God bless.