Wednesday, June 18, 2008

One leg to stand on

In my previous post I touched upon the greatness that is Tiger Woods.
That legend grew on Wednesday when the world's No. 1 golfer revealed he won the U.S. Open, playing with a torn ACL as well as a double stress fracture in the left knee he had surgically repaired in the spring.
He actually did beat the field on one leg.
Apparently, he had the torn ACL for nearly a year and suffered the double stress fracture while getting ready to play in the Open. His doctors advised him to stay off the knee and rehab further, meaning he'd miss the tournament.
He said, no.
It was obvious to anyone watching this past weekend, Tiger was hurting. We didn't know just how much. Instead of hobbling around on crutches as his doctors advised, there's Tiger winning another major title.
Many years ago, I had major surgery on my knee, so I'd like to think I have an idea what Tiger is feeling.
To realize he was out there, walking 91 holes over five days with as significant injury as he had, is mind-boggling (or bottling for you Blades of Glory fans). It goes to show what type of competitor Tiger is since he obviiously didn't need the $1,350,000 first-place check.
Now Tiger is done for the season, meaning he'll miss the British Open, PGA Championship and the Ryder Cup.
I don't know about the rest of you, but watching golf on TV just got a lot more boring.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Ron,
Not sure if you remember me. Keith H. former Freeman photog...Just wanted to say, great post. I agree 100% with your post. Woods' ups and downs are what made golf worth watching. Hope all is well.

June 19, 2008 at 9:44 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home