Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Mets redux

Wow!

What a difference a week makes.

I have repeated several times the past few weeks I thought the Mets not only had enough talent to make the playoffs, but do real damage when they got there. They had a two game lead over the Brewers in the beginning of last week and were right on the Phillies' heels for the division lead.

In the end, however, it was not meant to be -- again. Jose Reyes and David Wright didn't hit in the clutch, the bullpen didn't do the job and unless your name was Johan Santana, the starting pitching was less than stellar.

By the way, if Santana does not get SERIOUS consideration in the Cy Young voting, something is seriously wrong. I bring this up because earlier this summer I had been critical of Santana, saying he was pitching just good enough to lose. Boy, did he make me eat my words in the second half of the season.

So the Mets have many questions in the offseason. I think there will be major changes in Flushing when CitiField opens in the spring.

Speaking of CitiField, I watched the Shea Stadium closing ceremony. I thought it was well done, but I had one complaint. No way, should they have waited until after the game for the ceremony. The stadium seemed about 2/3 full with many fans getting out of dodge as quickly as they could following that heartbreaking loss that ended their season.

It's a shame because those fans missed a nice ceremony.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home