Friday, September 19, 2008

Stadium farewell

Throughout the season, concluding Sunday, people have been sharing their Yankee Stadium memories.

For me, going to the Stadium frequently (at least a dozen times a year) in the late 80's, early 90's, I got to watch some pretty pathetic teams. Oh sure, they had Don Mattingly and Rickey Henderson (for a time), but not much else.

Remember Luis Polonia? Claudelle Washington? Tim Leary? Scott Sanderson? Eric Plunk? Steve Balboni? Kevin Maas?

I sure do.

I remember was how easy it was to get decent tickets. Back then, the Yankees were lucky to draw 20,000 to a game. My buddy Steve and I would decide -- usually at the last minute -- to go to a game. We'd get there about 30 minutes before first pitch and still get prime seats. Our favorites were usually left field first row, fair territory, for about $12 a ticket.

How's that for a deal?

We'd sometimes be able to chat with -- or heckle (we were teenagers then) -- the Yanks' left fielder or the opposing team's.

I remember how awful the Yanks were on most nights. I remember the empty seats and seeing a guy behind home plate jump from the upper deck onto the netting below. I even remember my buddy and I having a conversation with Matt Nokes (there's another name for you) as our cars were side-by-side stuck in traffic leaving the Stadium. I guess Nokes really wanted to get out of the Stadium quickly that night.

But what I remember most was just how much fun Steve and I had.

It's something I miss to this day.

Things will never be the same in the Bronx.

1 Comments:

Blogger Johnny said...

I hate to say it, but let me hit the blow up button. Simply, it is time for Yankee Stadium to go. It's old, outdated and a dump. Time for Fenway to go as well, but that's another story.

A lot of people say that the Yankees were bad for many years, but from 1983-1988, they won 91,87, 97, 90, 89, and 85 games respectably----not terrible.

They did hit the skids from 1989-1992, but did go 88-74 in 1993. Yes, tickets were easy to get, now every "bandwagon" Yankee fan wants to go.

Love how YES, and every talkie calls 2008 a total failure because the now 84-71 Yankees will not make the playoffs. I'd love for my team to have a bad season and be 84-71 with seven games left to play.

After making the postseason for 13 straight seasons, the Yankees should be looking back with pride with what they have accomplished.

I am not a Yankee fan, but I am jealous of their success.

September 20, 2008 at 5:04 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home