Monday, August 18, 2008

Fixing the system

As I said in a previous post, I find myself watching the Olympics quite a bit these days. And with that, I have to make the observation I much prefer sports where judging is not in the equation.

In basketball, the team with the most points win. In baseball and softball, the most runs wins. In soccer, the most goals decides the winner. You get my drift.

A lot of the discussion -- outside of Michael Phelps -- has been the judging at gymnastics. I'm no expert by any means, but when you have one gymnast who beats the other out by virtue of a tiebreaker since they both received the same score, that might be a little too out ther for me.

I'm sure people will also argue since the gymnast who won was from the host country China and she beat out an American for the gold, "homerism" figured into the scoring.

Like I said, I'm not expert so I cannot say definitively whether the allegations have merit, but really -- when it comes to the greatest sporting event in the world -- should there be any doubt.