Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Give the young guns a break

Ok folks:
So after a huge Yankee win last night, I turn on ESPN this morning and listen to Chris "Mad Dog" Russo this afternoon, just to kind of hear what they're saying about my team.
I usually take everything with a grain of salt because most of these so-called experts aren't any more knowledgeable about sports than you or I. But I really found myself scratching my head when the talk turned to the two young Yankee pitchers -- Phil Hughes and Joba Chamberlain.
I didn't know until today just how overrated each 21-year-old pitcher was (tongue firmly in cheek) until I heard about it today.
As far as Hughes goes, I know I've said this in previous posts, you can see he has the makeup and the stuff to be front of the rotation pitcher, while Chamberlain -- my God -- I know there will be a time and who know when that time will be, where he will get shelled because every pitcher does.
But from the early returns, he has the potential to be a SPECIAL front of the rotation or back of the bullpen-type pitcher.
With the emergence of these two following the development of Chien-Ming Wang, it's just fun to see young Yankee pitchers finally show their potential at the major league level.
But I guess the pinstripes diminishes their ability in some people's eyes. But, these are probably the same people who'd be drooling over themselves if those three were apart of their staff.
Until next time, take care and God bless.