Monday, August 20, 2007

Punishment needs to fit the crime

Well folks:
I know we touched on this subject a little while back, but now that Michael Vick's attorney said the Falcons' quarterback will plead guilty to federal dogfighting charges, I just wanted to take this time to reiterate just how disgusted I am at this guy.
Vick was one of the faces of the NFL since and now he is the face for all that is wrong with the sport.
For those unfamiliar with the particulars of the case, I'll spare you all the details of the torture and murder Vick's co-defendants said they were all a part of, but when I heard of those details, it made me sick to my stomach.
Now, if you believe the reports and unnamed sources (don't you love when you see that in a story or hear that on TV or radio) Vick will likely face a year or so in jail. That just seems so unfair.
I guess you take whatever you can get, but don't tell me Vick's celebrity didn't factor in how much (or in his case how little) jail time he'll likely receive. If this had been you or I in Vick's shoes somehow I think we'd be facing a lot more jail time than 18 months.
What happens after jail is anybody's guess.
Vick is a talented quarterback who's star has obviously fallen big time. But has it fallen past the point of no return?
I think it's a safe bet the Falcons will now void his mega-million contract, and I'm sure he will not be welcome in most NFL camps when he is eligible to play again, but when you have the talent of a Michael Vick, I truly believe the door will be open somewhere for him to make his comeback.
That of course cannot be said for those animals so cruelly tortured and killed by Vick and his friends.
Until next time, take care and God bless.