Saturday, September 29, 2007

Sunday is the fun day

Well folks:
Let's see. I'm a diehard Yankee fan. I love the undefeated (at least, so far) Dallas Cowboys and as I've said in previous posts. I really get into watching team golf competition and the U.S. men are playing the Internationals in the Presidents Cup.
So what will I be watching on a football Sunday afternoon.
The NEW YORK METS.
What is he thinking you may be asking.
The Mets tied for first in the NL East, one game remaining in the regular season with a possible one-game "playoff" looming for Monday in Philadelphia. For any baseball fan, it really doesn't get any better than this.
Behind the nearly-perfect pitching of John Maine, the Mets showed the kind of heart and fight that many of you fairweather Mets fans probably thought left them long ago. As a Yankee fan I even enjoyed watching the Mets show some spunk against the Marlins.
Florida is a God-awful team, but all you Mets' fans know it's been those God-awful teams like the Marlins and the Nationals that have given the Amazins fits this past month.
You've got future Hall of Famer Tom Glavine pitching against Florida ace Dontrelle Willis with some bad blood between the two teams following Saturday's game. With the Phillies playing the Nats at the same time, it all makes for some great drama.
With that said, it's prediction time.
Glavine allows two runs over 6 2/3 innings, while the Mets shell an ineffective Willis en route to a 12-4 victory. The Phillies in the meantime, ride two home runs from Ryan Howard for an 8-3 win over Washington, forcing a one-game playoff in a place I like to call my second home -- Philadelphia (my mother's family lives there and I've spent many a summer in the City of Brotherly Love).
But I digress.
On Monday, in an absolute dismantling, the Mets, given a second chance with Saturday's turn of events, score early and often for a 10-1 pasting and a berth in the playoffs, where they will be dismissed by the Chicago Cubs.
Meanwhile, my beloved wild-card winning Yankees, the underdog (that's right the UNDERDOG) in their series against the NL Central champion Indians, takes Cleveland out in four games to ensure Joe Torre will return as manager for another year.
We'll see how my picks pan out, but keep in mind this, I'm ALMOST ALWAYS WRONG! So, for all you Mets' fans, buckle up those seat belts. You're going to be in for one heck of a trip Sunday.
And speaking of trips, I'll be taking a trip away from the Freeman for the next week for a little vacation. I'll talk to you all next week to see just how wrong my picks are.
So, until next time, as always, take care and God bless.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home