Friday, August 31, 2007

Are you ready for some football?

Ok gang:
Sorry to steal the song title from Hank Williams Jr. and Monday Night Football, but we're less than an hour away from kickoff to the opening of the area scholastic season and I must admit I am a little more pumped than I though I'd be.
Normally this is the time of year I loathe because -- as I've discussed in previous posts -- this time signals the start of fall, which mean winter is around the corner and I HATE winter. But I really am looking forward to the high school season, as well as the colleges and pros.
I'm not trying to belittle all other sports, but there's just something different about going to a local high school -- ANY local high school -- and seeing a few hundred, if not a few thousand, fans excited about rooting for their hometown team. As a reporter even I -- to this day -- get caught up in the pageantry that is high school football after three decades in this line of work.
That said, I'll probably take a little extra interest in seeing how my hometown team -- Ellenville -- does this season.
On paper, the Devils look like they could have one of their better seasons in quite a few years, but as we all know you don't win games on paper, so the jury is still out.
And I'm hoping my favorite pro and college teams (the Dallas Cowboys and USC, respectively) live up to their expectations. If so, I'll be celebrating another NFL playoff berth and another NCAA national championship.
Here's hoping all your teams do well (except when they're playing mine) and for all our area high school players, I wish you all good luck and good health. Go out and kick butt.
Until next time, take care and God bless.