Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Giving Lefty his due

Well folks:
As I got disgusted watching my Yankees lose on Monday, I began to watch the final of the weekend's PGA tournament in Massachusetts.
I consider myself an avid golf fan, and the whole Tiger Woods-Phil Mickelson showdown really peaked my interest. Now let me just say I'm a big Tiger Woods' fan. There's something about watching greatness and Tiger is well on his way to being recognized as being the best to ever play the game -- if he's not there already.
And for some reason, I'm not the biggest Mickelson fan. Maybe I think he's a bit of a phony.
That said, I really enjoyed watching Phil actually beat Tiger in the head-to-head showdown because that will only help the future of the PGA.
Week after week those of us who follow golf watch Tiger run away and hide from his competition, especially when they play head-to-head.
Whether it's Vijay Singh or Rory Sabbatini, Tiger -- for lack of a better analogy -- chews up his competition and spits them out. And Mickelson is no exception. I always joke the best way to ensure Lefty won't win a tournament is to put him in the same grouping with Tiger.
Monday's final round of the Deutsche Bank Championship was different. Phil appeared inspired, while Tiger for the first 13 holes seemed flat. Woods made his usual charge over the final five, six holes, but Mickelson had enough to survive and win by two shots.
Like I said previously, I'm a huge Tiger Woods' fan, but even those of us who believe Tiger is the greatest player in the game must acknowledge it when someone is the greatest player that week.
It was Lefty's turn.
Until next time, take care and God bless.