Friday, September 14, 2007

Time to get some help?

Ok folks:
I think I'm in need of an intervention.
As a sports editor, I feel I have to be connected to sports -- both locally and nationally.
Now you all know I'm a big baseball guy. I could sit and watch endless hours of baseball any day. The same for football -- and to a lesser extent -- basketball and hockey.
But I spent 11 hours today -- that's right from 2 a.m. until 1 p.m. -- watching coverage of the Solheim Cup, getting virtually no sleep. For those of you not as (sports) nutty as I am, the Solheim Cup is a professional women's golf event in which the best players from the United States take on the top pros from Europe in a three-day team competition.
The men have two versions of this -- the most famous is the Ryder Cup and the other is the Presidents Cup.
For some strange reason, I really get into this. I'm sure part of watching the Solheim Cup is watching Natalie Gulbis play for reasons I think any guy who has ever seen Gulbis would know and agree. But also, I really like the whole U.S. vs. "the world" concept.
I know in the end, whether it's the men or women playing, it's a bunch of rich golfers from here playing another bunch of wealthy golfers from there, but yet, there I sat starting 2 a.m. today riveted by this competition.
By the way, the Solheim Cup continues Saturday morning at 2 a.m.
Guess where I'll be?
Somebody help me.
Until next time, take care and God bless.