Monday, January 21, 2008

Easy pickings

Well gang:
In the immortal words of Alex P. Keaton (from the 1980s and and early 90s sitcom 'Family Ties,') "I don't want to toot my own horn, but ... beep, beep."
Through 10 playoff games, I'm 9 of 10 with my predictions.
Ninety percent.
I wish I were that good a student in school.
It's been a pretty crazy postseason so far as we now wait two LOOOONG weeks for Super Bowl XLII, but in the end -- as much as it might pain some to say -- the Giants and Patriots deserve to be making the trip to Arizona.
The one thing I will say that has made me laugh since the Giants' win over the Packers is the large number of Giants fans (and you know who you are) who had been killing Eli Manning pretty much all season are now singing his praises.
That said, consider this post a PRELIMINARY Super Bowl prediction. I will give my final pick the day before the big game.
I see the Pats winning big.
Here's why:
For the next two weeks, the focus will be on the magical run the Giants have had in the playoffs; the maturation of Manning; how New York was so close to beating the Patriots in the final game of the regular season; and how Big Blue has the momentum and karma heading into the game.
Even in their pursuit of perfection, the heavily-favored Patriots will be a sub-plot in the national media.
Say what you want about Bill Belichick -- the man can coach. He has to be licking his chops at all of this as he prepares the Patriots. He will have that team -- which IS more talented than the Giants -- primed for the game.
I don't think the game will be close, maybe 38-17 or something like that.
But it's a long two weeks until the big game. A lot can happen, And one thing this postseason has shown us is you can't predict football -- unless you're me of course. :0)
Until next time, take care and God bless.

9 Comments:

Blogger Johnny said...

The NFC Championship Game was a classic. I still can't believe that Tynes made the 47 yard kick and even more surprised that Coughlin sent him out to try.

A Giants win over the Pats in Super Bowl 42 would be one for the ages. It would be compared to the 1969 Mets, the 1985 Villanova Wildcats and maybe even the Miracle on Ice. Sports fans would remember it forever, even those who are just 1 year old would read about it and know about it.

Go Big Blue.

January 22, 2008 at 10:47 AM 
Blogger Johnny said...

Where arr you Ron? Doesn't anybody repsond to comments here?

January 23, 2008 at 8:53 AM 
Blogger Ron Rosner said...

Johnny:
The NFC Championship was a classic even for somebody like me who doesn't root for either team, and after Tynes had missed the first two field goals from a shorter distance than the 47-yarder he was lining up for in OT, I figured he was due to make the kick.
I don't know if I'd go as far as Villanova in 1985 or the Miracle on Ice in 1980, but the comparison to the 69 Mets is a pretty good one.

January 23, 2008 at 9:18 PM 
Blogger Johnny said...

Monumental Sports Upsets

1) 1980 U.S. Hockey
2) 1969 Mets
3) 1985 Villanova
4) Chaminade beating #1 Virginia
5) 1968 NY Jets over 18 point favorite Colts
6) 1990 Cincinnati Reds. The Oakland A's were defending champions and heavu favorites. The biggest shock: they got swept by Cincinnati!

January 30, 2008 at 7:26 PM 
Blogger Ron Rosner said...

Johnny:
I might put the Louisville upset over Pfi Slamma Jamma (pardon the spelling) up there as well.
I'll always remember Jimmy Valvano running across the court.

January 30, 2008 at 8:57 PM 
Blogger Johnny said...

That was North Carolina State beating Houston. Houston beat Louisville in the national semifinals before the 54-52 loss to NC State. I thought about putting NC State on the list, but Georgetown was the defending champion in 1985, so I took them.

January 31, 2008 at 7:19 PM 
Blogger Ron Rosner said...

Johnny:
Thanks for the correction. Total brain fart on my part. I should've known Valvano is NC State not Louisville.
That image still sits in my head.

February 1, 2008 at 3:37 PM 
Blogger Unknown said...

cheap ugg boots
valentino outlet
snapbacks wholesale
michael kors online outlet
louis vuitton outlet online
lululemon pants
air force 1 shoes
toms outlet store
chanel handbags outlet
adidas outlet
chicago blackhawks
ugg outlet online
louis vuitton bags
babyliss flat iron
rolex watches
rolex watches outlet
canada goose jackets
michael kors handbags sale
ferragamo outlet
1128MINKO

November 27, 2015 at 11:36 PM 
Blogger jeje said...

nike air zoom structure 19
longchamp outlet
kobe 11
cheap jordans
true religion jeans
nike dunks
longchamp
adidas nmd
air jordan shoes
michael kors purses

March 23, 2017 at 4:31 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home