Friday, January 23, 2009

Drawing the line

I read a story recently about a Texas high school girls basketball team beating its opponent 100-0 and it made me think, 'where was the sportsmanship in this game.'

In the story, a parent of a player on the opposing team, said the thing that disturbed her the most was the winning team kept their collective foot on the pedal and didn't stop shooting 3-point field goals until they reached the 100-0 score with about 4:00 left in the game. It also sounded as through their starters played a majority of the game despite its team leading 59-0 at halftime.

Look, I'm the last one who would argue that you play the game to win the game, or, as an area coach once asked, 'then why do we keep score.' But 100-0 sounds ridiculous.

The coach has to be held accountable since he/she is the adult and sets the example. I've heard talk of establishing some sort of mercy rule in basketball and while in most cases I would not be in favor of having one, I think there has to be a point where common sense takes over.

You can't help but feel terrible for the opposing team in this game. I know blowouts are a part of the game, but no coach should let it get that far out of hand.