Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Leave a good thing alone

So the rumors have intensified the NCAA Tournament will expand to 96 teams sooner rather than later and that makes me ask, 'Why?'

I understand all sports, professional and amateur, are looking to make a buck, but when it comes to the NCAA Tournament, why mess with a playoff system that is as close to perfect as you can get?

We don't need 31 more teams added to the pool. And if the NCAA chooses to go this route, then why don't they just include every Division I team. I believe there are more than 200 Division I institutions. I'm not sure how many have men's basketball teams, but throw them all in.

Render every NCAA game in the regular season irrelevant. Eliminate a once-proud tournament like the NIT so we can all see Pacific play Virginia Commonwealth in an early-round game. But somebody please wake me up when the game is over.

I mean how ridiculous can this get.

If I had a say in this -- which I don't -- I would say we need not mess with a good thing. The NCAA Tournament is special because there's at least some credibility to each of the 65 teams that qualify.

You add 31 and you lose quite a bit of that credibility. The NCAA Tournament and those of us who follow it don't need that.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home