Friday, April 16, 2010

Time to play catch up

Boy, I go away for a relaxing vacation to the Caribbean and I seemed to miss everything.

For Tiger and Phil at the Masters to opening day of baseball season to the NCAA men's and women's basketball championships, April really got started off with a bang.

Locally, a quick congratulations to Kingston's DaVonne Dunlap and Rachel Coffey, who were named Freeman boys and girls basketball Players of the Year. Although the competition was great, these two truly deserved the honor.

Roosevelt softball received a huge blow by losing Freeman All-Star Jen Reitemeyer for the season because of a shoulder injury. I watched her shut down Valley Central in last year's Section 9, Class AA championship last year. The Presidents will surely miss her.

Speaking of missing things, I don't know if it's me, but April doesn't seem to be the same without having the Kingston Classic to look forward to at month's end. I'm not a runner, but I always enjoyed watching the elite runners as well as the local running enthusiasts race past the Freeman twice during the race.

Who said April is a quiet month. And we're only halfway through.