Thursday, August 30, 2007

The Mets perspective

Well folks:
I know I spend a lot of time blogging about my favorite team, so in the interest of equal play -- or as equal as I'll get with MY posts -- let's talk about that other team from New York -- the Mets.
As the Phillies were completing their four-game sweep of the Amazins, I began to wonder what the Mets must do to ritght their ship.
Those of you Mets fans out there pinning all of your hopes on the return of a 100 percent healthy Pedro Martinez, don't fool yourself. Although I suspect he WILL pitch again this season for the Mets, just how many starts can he give you over the final 25 or so games when he returns.
And given it could very well take a start or two for him to feel completely comfortable back on the mound after more than a year on the disabled list, there's just not enough time for him to make that big an impact down the stretch. Making an impact for the playoffs ... well, we can discuss that down the road.
The biggest thing is to not panic, Mets fans. You've seen the Phillies make this kind of run before only to fade. And as bad as the Mets' pitching looks right now, the Phillies' staff is that much worse.
I still don't think we've seen the best of the Mets' offense this season and there is still time for them to step up. Maybe Thursday's 11-10 loss was a step in the right direction for their offense, which most resembles an American League offense in the National League.
Even as a Yankee fan, I see the Mets winning the division by at least 5 games.
But what this season shows me more than anything is just how superior the junior circuit is to the senior league. I firmly believe the Mets are still the class of the NL, yet I wouldn't put them in the top 5 of the AL.
Right now, the Yankees are playing a superior brand of baseball and there's still a good chance they might not even qualify for postseason play.
Enough said.
Until next time, take care and God bless.