Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Make up your mind

I promised myself I wouldn't devote much space to this but ...

Let me get this straight! First Brett Favre retires, then he wants to un-retire and be released by the Packers and now only wants to be traded to a team he wants to play for. Are you kidding me?

I would say the Packers have been more than generous to Favre in his career, but now they OWE it to him to either release him or trade him to a team that he wants to play for? I guess the hundreds of millions of dollars they've paid him over his career weren't enough.

Make no mistake, I have no problem with Favre changing his mind after retiring. But can you imagine the precedent it would set if Green Bay would just out and out release him?

Could you picture the number of star players in their prime -- Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, LaDanian Tomlinson, take your pick -- frustrated with how things are going with their respective teams. What would stop them from saying in the spring 'I'm retired!' only to change their minds just before training camp. And on top of that asking for their release so they could play for whatever team they like.

Maybe we can call it the Favre rule.

What a joke!

1 Comments:

Blogger Johnny said...

I am so sick of Favre and am 100 percent on the side of the Packers on this one. They should not release him at all---that's what he wants. But, Favre can't have it both ways. He wants to be traded---to Minnesota or Tampa Bay only. If the Pack trades him to an AFC team like the Jets, he likely won't go there and will stay retired.

To me, Favre is one of the most overrated superstars of our time. Too many interceptions in big games. He wasn't great in their Super Bowl win and he was less so in their Super Bowl loss. In 16 seasons, he was 1-1 in Super Bowls and just 2-2 in NFC Championship Games, with 28 playoff interceptions.

The Packers have been dicked around him by Favre since 2002. My bet is that if he doesn't get released, he will stay retired.

Which is the way it should be.

July 27, 2008 at 3:29 PM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home