Tuesday, June 5, 2007

That old feeling coming back

Hello all:
Maybe it's the weather or the time of year, but I'm getting the, itch to coach again.
For those of you who don't know, for the past 11 years I've been a "coach" for a summer softball program down in Orange County before retiring after last year. I've been very fortunate to be a part of some highly successful teams during my run.
I put coach in quotes because I kind of think of myself more as the comic relief than a coach, but given some great REAL coaches I've learned from over the years, I acquired some knowledge that I've been able to pass along to my teams over the years. I've had the privilege to meet some great people through softball -- including a gentleman by the name of Ralph Weekly, who is the head coach of the University of Tennessee squad that, as of this posting on Tuesday afternoon, is one win away from a national title.
For 11 years softball has been great to me. I've enjoyed the coaching end, no doubt, but the interaction with my friends on the coaching staff, as well as the girls on all those various teams, have made the experience all the more worthwhile. When my very good friend Jim Buyea decided to step down as coach, it made my decision to call it quits easy.
I was a little burned out. Hey, many years of coaching will do that, even on a summer team. I've had the opportunity to watch my three nephews play baseball this spring, something I have never had the opportunity to do with coaching and I find myself with a lot more free time.
I have to admit I've been finding myself the past couple of weeks thinking about softball and coaching and my kids.
I don't miss the time commitment -- working here at the Freeman until 1 a.m. on a Saturday, only to get up 4 to 5 hours later to head to a softball field to coach all day, then come back to work that night, leave 1 a.m. on Sunday and go through the whole routine again.
But the fun I had is something I will always cherish. Maybe someday I'll find myself coaching again.
Until next time, take care and God bless.