Wednesday, June 13, 2007

We're all experts

Hey folks:
One of the things I get the biggest kick out of is the notion that those who work in sports (whether it's print/internet/broadcasting, etc.) have an expertise that other do not.
I couldn't tell you how often I'm asked who I thought would win this Major League Baseball game or that National Football League contest because people actually think my opinion is actually worth more.
As someone who does this for a living I believe nothing could be further from the truth. Referencing my last blog, what makes sports great is that there is no predetermined end. Oh sure, if the Yankees played the Royals on paper, or the Mets played the Nationals on paper, logic would dictate the New York teams would win.
But, as we all know, that's not always the case.
Which brings me to this baseball season. Now, before the season, just about every expert predicted both New York teams would make the postseason and possibly the World Series. When the Yankees got off to that putrid start, these same experts predicted they didn't have a chance to make the wildcard.
The Mets, meanwhile, got off to a flying start and the experts predicted them to be the best team in the National League. Now that they have hit a bit of a slide, these same experts say if the Mets don't fix their pitching woes, they might not make the playoffs.
Funny how the experts can flip-flop so easily.
Folks, it's the middle of June. Both the Yankees and Mets have approximately 100 games left to the regular season. There is so much more baseball to be played.
Am I predicting a Subway Series? Who knows.
But one thing I can tell you for sure, your guess is worth every bit as much as mine and my fellow experts.
Until next time, take care and God bless.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home