Saturday, June 16, 2007

Happy Father's Day

Hello everyone:
You know, as sports fans, we all tend to live and die with our teams.
I know there are times when I might be having a crummy day and then the Yankees win, or the Cowboys, or Islanders, or Nets ... you get the picture ... and you start to feel better.
But, as I think about the the things that truly matter to me, my attention turns to my dad.
My dad, also named Ron, is the most influential person in my life. And even though he can be maddening at times as he gets older -- don't worry dad I won't give away your age -- I still could not have picked a better person as a father.
The lessons he taught me about life, love and respect -- just to name a few -- are lessons I'll cherish forever.
And he is -- without a doubt -- my biggest fan.
One of the stories I recall is talking with him one day after deciding to change my major in college from law to journalism. I was worried about the conversation because studying law was something I had been preparing for my entire scholastic life.
My dad always had an interest in that field because he was a police sergeant and the law was something he took very seriously.
Coming from a middle class family, I was also concerned from a financial aspect. You don't get into this business because you're looking for early retirement.
In talking with my dad, I was surprised with his reaction. Instead of trying to convince me otherwise, my father -- both my parents in fact -- were as supportive as I could have ever hoped.
Now, I didn't get my love of sports from dad -- that trait must have skipped a generation and been passed down to me by both my grandfathers -- but to this day if my dad sees one of my stories or columns, he will read it from start to finish, no matter how boring he finds the subject.
He's even my biggest supporter when it comes to this blog, so I'm dedicating this one to you dad.
On this day, we should all take some time to tell our dads how much they mean to us. Take some time to show your dad how much you care.
So, to my father, I give you all of my love and respect.
And to all dads everywhere, a special take care and God bless.