Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Court-ing the past

Well gang:
As I've said in previous posts, since I don't get the opportunity to catch a lot of local games, I really enjoy the times I am able to do so.
I caught the recent SUNY New Paltz women's basketball team playing in the conference playoffs, and I must say I walked away pretty impressed. They beat Potsdam to earn a berth in this weekend's SUNYAC final four.
It's been nearly 15 years since covering college hoops was my beat here, and at that time, women's hoops at New Paltz was decent, but this year's edition is the most skilled team I've seen there.
Coach Jamie Seward has done a nice job improving that squad in the short time -- two seasons -- he's been there.
I will also admit, while the relatively new Athletic & Wellness Center is a real treat to watch a game from, I kind of miss the old Elting Gymnasium. As a reporter, Elting was kind of a home away from the Freeman, so to speak and I have a lot of great memories and interviewed a lot of great people in that old gym.
Maybe I'm being a little nostalgic, but there's nothing wrong with that.
Until next time, take care and God bless.