Friday, February 15, 2008

Morality/legality

Hey gang:
I was watching talk radio on ESPN2 this morning and the hosts came up with an interesting question in regards to the whole Andy Pettitte, Roger Clemens, steroid saga.
If you were in Andy Pettitte's shoes and a close friend was in Roger Clemens' shoes, how far would you go to protect that friend?
Would you remember having a couple of conversations 5, 6, 7 years ago with your friend and him or her taking to you about taking steroids or Human Growth Hormone? Or would you swear under oath that you have no recollection of a conversation ever taking place?
How far does your loyalty extend?
The answers from viewers and listeners ran the spectrum from telling the hosts that a lie is a lie and one should never be told to protect anyone to some of them calling Pettitte a coward and a louse for "throwing his best friend under a bus."
In subsequent conversations I had with friends and family, answers were equally diverse.
My stance seems to change depending on who I speak with, meaning I must not feel completely behind one argument or the other.
But it does give us all a little food for thought, so I thought I'd ask you guys.
Until next time, take care and God bless.

3 Comments:

Blogger Johnny said...

Once you tell the truth, you're done and a huge burden is lifted from you. Lie once and then you have to continue to lie and lie and lie some more. To me, Clemens has to think of lie after lie after lie.

Pettitte felt he told the truth. He said he discussed HGH with Roger Clemens and he said that Roger took HGH.

Pettitte is no angel. He lied and moreover, he cheated as well. Christians lie because all people lie at some point in their lives. He said he took HGH once in 2002, then it was twice, then it was in 2002 and 2004. Liar.

Lidocaine is like novacaine. Why would a baseball player want to be completely numb while preparing for their sports.

The Republicans protected Clemens like he was a big donor to their campaigns ($4,600 per couple, per congressman). The Democrats protected the little guy McNamee is is basically the equivalent of a Nazi soldier---did what he was told. The only reason McNamee injected steroids into Clemens is because Clemens asked for them.

It's sad, and I am one that was glad that Congress conducted these hearings. If sports can't be clean, then sports can't be watched.

My job is okay, I don't love it, but I do love watching sports as it provides an escape from the daily geind of life. If sports are going to polluted, then why bother.

Clemens would NOT get my vote for the HOF and I would advise Andy Pettitte to retire at once---the sport doesn't need cheaters like yourself.

February 15, 2008 at 8:54 PM 
Blogger Ron Rosner said...

Johnny:
Thanks for the response, but you haven't completely answered my question.
If it were a close friend or loved one in the same boat as Clemens, how far would you go to protect him or her? I'm not taking murder or something violent like that. I'm talking something like the Clemens' saga.
Like I said in the post, I don't suspect there's a right or wrong answer. I was just wondering.

February 16, 2008 at 8:27 PM 
Blogger Johnny said...

Sorry for not answering the question, but if I were being questioned about a friend like Pettitte was questioned by his friend Clemens, I would tell the truth.

"The truth shall set you free."

February 17, 2008 at 12:07 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home